Re: Men making men, eh, who needs women...

Ali Rizvi wrote:

> Steve
>
> just to add to what you said. I think Foucault also says a similar
> thing. The only difference is the notion of authenticty. While Sartre
> conceives/sees this process of self formation/self constitution/self
> making through reference back to the notion of authenticity, Foucault
> wants this process to be free of any such constraint. This is what his
> notion of construction of self or aesthetic of existence means (among
> other things). According to Focuault reference back to the notion of
> authenticity is the betrayal of self creation. The same is his
> objection on Kant.
>
> By the way I think Sartre's influence on Foucault is normally
> underestimated. What others think?

I agree, Foucault took a lot from Nietzsche, but must have had Sartre in
his mind a long time. He wrote about many things which were also hot
items for Sartre, i.e. the relation between indivdual and society.

regards

erik>>

Ditto. I think Sartre was in some ways the looming father in whose shaodow he wrote and who influenced him and other postwar writers in ways they weren't even aware of.

Allen