Re: Il faut defendre Foucault

In a message dated 7/19/2001 9:31:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stuart.elden@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Letter on Humanism for example, and the Nietzsche book - as Althusser says,
> the Letter was crucial for a whole generation of French thinkers in
> freeing themselves of the influence/power of Sartre. Here was a way to
> criticise Sartre, but also a way to utilise Heidegger without the
> misleading existentialist jargon that was only a minor part of
> Heidegger's work.

My impression of the "Letter" was that it had its effect because it stated,
if I recall correctly, that there was a battle between teachers and students.
By claiming that
educational settings were the context of the class conflict, he seemed to
have set up not only a widespread repression towards his work but also a
reaction. The right considered Heidegger a Nazi while the left found his
work a curiousity for awhile and now today he has become de rigouer! I have
thought that his emancipatory idea was the distinction between authenticity
and inauthenticity, but his concern with nihilism seemed to have allowed him
a 'wait and see' attitude towards political tendencies. This seems to
involve him in an ethical dilemma, imho.

Vunch