Re: a request for references

Liz Eckermann, "Foucault, Embodiment and Gendered Subjectivities. The Case
of Voluntary Self-Starvation", in Alan Petersen & Robin Bunton (eds.),
Foucault, Health and Medicine, London: Routledge, 1997 might be useful.

I too would show caution about saying this is a "sickness of the rich". I
would hesitate to offer any blanket assumptions or judgements here, rather
that it might be more prevalent in particular types of societies, for a
number of reasons, representation of women being a particular issue. I don't
believe poverty is necessarily a barrier to anorexia. And having experienced
anorexia at close quarters, I can assure you it is anything but "simple".

Stuart