topical foucault quotes

--============_-1211696517==_ma============

Here are some comments from Foucault against hatred and terrorism
which I think are apt under the current circumstances

A reply to an Iranien reader who commented on his views on Iran

'The problem of Islam as a political force is an essential problem
for our time and for the years to come. The first condition in
approaching it with anything resembling intelligence is to not to
start with hatred.' (1978) 'Reponse de Michel Foucault a une lectrice
iranienne' in Dits et Ecrtis, t. III. Paris: Gallimard, 1994

'If someone were to ask me how I conceive of what I do, I would reply
if the strategist is the man who says 'What does this death, this
cry, this uprising matter in the grand scale of things and what does
a general principle matter to me in the situation in which we find
ourselves?' well I don't care whether the strategist is a politician,
a historian, a revolutionary, a supporter of the Shah or of the
Ayatolla, my theoretical morality is the opposite. It is
'antistrategic': to be respectful when a singularity rises up and
intransigent when power infringes on the universal' (1978xiv) 'Is it
useless to revolt?', in (1999) Religion and Culture. Edited by Jeremy
R. Carrette. Manchester: Manchester University Press. p. 134. (trans
mod.)

..'terrorism... has a totally opposite effect which is to make the
bourgeois class even more closely attached to its ideology. ... Using
terror for revolution : it is a totally contradictory idea ..'
(1976) 'Le savoir comme crime', in Dits et Ecrits, t. III. Paris:
Gallimard, 1994. p.83.
--
Clare
Clare O'Farrell

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
terrorism which I think are apt under the current circumstances</div>
Iran</div>
problem for our time and for the years to come. The first condition in
approaching it with anything resembling intelligence is to not to
start with hatred.' (1978) 'Reponse de Michel Foucault a une lectrice
iranienne' in Dits et Ecrtis, t. III. Paris: Gallimard, 1994</div>
reply if the strategist is the man who says 'What does this death,
this cry, this uprising matter in the grand scale of things and what
does a general principle matter to me in the situation in which we
find ourselves?' well I don't care whether the strategist is a
politician, a historian, a revolutionary, a supporter of the Shah or
of the Ayatolla, my theoretical morality is the opposite. It is
'antistrategic': to be respectful when a singularity rises up and
intransigent when power infringes on the universal'&nbsp;<font
face="New York" size="-1" color="#000000"> (1978xiv) 'Is it useless to
revolt?', in (1999)<u> Religion and Culture</u>. Edited by Jeremy R.
Carrette. Manchester: Manchester University Press. p. 134.</font>
(trans mod.)</div>
the bourgeois class even more closely attached to its ideology. ...
Using terror for revolution : it is a totally contradictory idea ..'&nbsp;
(1976) 'Le savoir comme crime', in Dits et Ecrits, t. III. Paris:
Gallimard, 1994.&nbsp; p.83.</div>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
Clare&nbsp; O'Farrell<br>