Re: power/knowledge [Soumya]

soumya

this is the same distinction you will get when learning German, between
wissen (to know fact) and kennen (knowing person or place). Tells virtually
nothing about Foucault's usage or of Habermas for that matter.

even on the linguistic level it is not a hard fast rule. it is perfectly
alright to use wissen for person as well like in ich weis, wer sie ist,
although elementry german learning books will tell you that wissen is for
fact and kennen for person and place.
best regards
ali

I am no native French but have been learning the language for the past one
year.

Savoir - to know a fact.

Connaitre - to know or be familiar with a person.

But , I think a French person must clarify.

Aris Mousoutzanis <emous01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>@lists.village.virginia.edu
on 30/07/2002 21:55:20

Please respond to foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx