Re: HAB: globalization and intellectuals

Habermas' view does not make any moral obligation to intellectual to
intervene in the public sphere on issues of general concern or relating to
the academic discipline which they represent. Nevertheless there is certain
encouragement to be an active citizen,ofcourse not just for the
"intellectual" but for every citizen. I have two problems: First "public
spheres" are mostly nationally oriented. There is no "world news paper", nor
an international forum to which feel bound. Even the UN is now
instrumentalised for national interests and discredited.... Reading the
Herald tribune, Le Monde or a German newspaper on the same subject is quite
a difference! That is for international readers as such also interesting,
but few relate these differences to more a global context for political
discussion. Yet,we share because of globalisation quite simular challenges.
I think of the changes at the academia, and university. I almost have the
impression the idea of "the university" at least in the sense of
Humboldt,completely disappears and we get lose, intransparent private/public
networks in it is place where "intellectuals", less as they use to do, go
beyond their area of immediate concern. Is this not a "world" issue for
intellectuals to engage in a political discussion transnationally? Why it
does not happen? Surely there is no "engaged" culture, but if one would have
a forum it may become different. Yet have to constitute a forum. We have now
email discussion listed, reflecting the fragmentation of politics???
Perhaps someone has done some more reflections on this, then what comes to
my mind
Rene