RE: From DownUnder

--=_88D4C0ED.C3A2AB44

Hi.

I am doing some research into what governments must take into account
when developing policies related to unemployment and social welfare
benefits.

I intend using Foucaults thoughts on governmentality, power, knowledge
and dividing practices as a framework for this discussion but I am
having trouble putting it all together.

If someone could read the following and make some suggestions that
would be much appreciated.

My discussion will initially begin with Foucaults concept of
governmentality. Briefly I will discuss the change in emphasis from
soveign power to power eminating from disciplinary techniques. These
disciplinary techniques realise themselves in what Foucault calls
bio-power which are broken in two arms. The first arm studies how power
is exerted over human species (called bio-politics of the population)
while the second arm looks at how power is exerted over the human body
(called anatomo-politics).

Question 1: Is the first arm of bio-power (human species) one that
concentrates on the poulation as a whole. Could someone give me a few
examples of this so that I better understand.

Question 2: In the second arm of bio-power ( bio-politics) Rabinnow
states that ..."A new set of operations, of proccedures - those joinings
of knowledge and power that Foucault calls technologies come together
around objectification of the body". (page 17 of the Foucault Reader)

What is this quote saying?

Question 3: In my discussion of the second arm of bio-power (human
body) could I look at
(i) the panopticon, and
(ii) Foucault's "dividing practices"?

Or are they better discussed separately?

It seems to me that they should be discussed as if they belong to the
second arm of bio-power because this arm seems to concern itself with
controlling individuals (humans)which both the panopticon and dividing
practices do.

Hope you someone can help.

Regards

Rob

--=_88D4C0ED.C3A2AB44

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2712.300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hi.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I am doing some research into what governments must take into
account when developing policies related to unemployment and social welfare
benefits.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I intend using Foucaults thoughts on governmentality, power,
knowledge and dividing practices as a framework for this discussion but I am
having trouble putting it all together.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>If someone could read the following and make some suggestions
that would be much appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;<BR>My discussion will initially begin with Foucaults
concept of governmentality. Briefly I will discuss the change in emphasis from
soveign power to power eminating from disciplinary techniques. These
disciplinary techniques realise themselves in what Foucault calls bio-power
which are broken in two arms. The first arm studies how power is exerted over
human species (called bio-politics of the population) while the second arm looks
at how power is exerted over the human body (called
anatomo-politics).<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Question 1: Is the first arm of bio-power (human
species) one that concentrates on the poulation as a whole. Could someone give
me a few examples of this so that I better understand.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Question 2:
In the second arm of bio-power ( bio-politics) Rabinnow states that ..."A new
set of operations, of proccedures - those joinings of knowledge and power that
Foucault calls technologies come together around objectification of the body".
(page 17 of the Foucault Reader)<BR>&nbsp;<BR>What is this quote
saying?<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Question 3: In my discussion of the second arm of bio-power
(human body) could I look
at<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (i) the
panopticon, and<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
(ii)&nbsp; Foucault's "dividing practices"?<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Or are they better
discussed separately?<BR>&nbsp;<BR>It seems to me that they should be discussed
as if they belong to the second arm of bio-power because this arm seems to
concern itself with controlling individuals (humans)which both the panopticon
and dividing practices do.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Hope you someone can help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Rob</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--=_88D4C0ED.C3A2AB44--