Re: Violence as a Struggle Against Weakness

--=_603C8888.EE8F6435

Lionel,
=20
Somehow your message is repeating. Could you try and fix it an your end.
=20
=20
=20
=20
Regards
=20
Robert Grose
School of Accounting and Law
RMIT University
Level 15, 239 Bourke St
GPO Box 2476V
Melbourne Vic 3000
=20
Phone: + 61 3 9925 5713
Fax: + 61 3 9925 5741
Email: robert.grose@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>> lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx 11/18/02 02:54pm >>>

> Professor Jorge M. Roche refines my metaphor "Warfare as Submission" =
by=20

>suggesting that if my hypothesis is correct, "What we might empirically=20=

>expect is that those individuals who are more submissive are also more =
likely=20

>to be more aggressive than less submissive ones."
That makes sense. Submissive individuals are easier to coerce. I would =
not say that is the same as weaker individuals. My feeling is that a =
homogenous social context contributes to docility, utility and governmental=
ity. When exernal influences dilute a homogenous social context stability =
declines:
- Japan in the past 10 years
- Western society in the past 50 years=20
The question of interest perhaps is regarding the mode in which people are =
made to be submissive. Submission caused by various processes that may =
lead to a population of people:
- irrationally enthusiastic for war (people who would have never entertaine=
d the idea)=20
- irrationally enthusiastuc for sustainability (people who would have =
never entertained the idea)
- irrationally enthuasiastic for gay sex (people who would have never =
entertained the idea)=20
In other words, the mode of creating the submission may alter what the =
submissive society may be harnessed to do.
Lionel
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*=20

--=_603C8888.EE8F6435

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2712.300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Lionel,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Somehow your message is repeating. Could you try and =
fix it an=20
your end.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Robert Grose<BR>School of Accounting and Law<BR>RMIT University<BR>Lev=
el=20
15, 239 Bourke St<BR>GPO Box 2476V<BR>Melbourne Vic 3000</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Phone:&nbsp; + 61 3 9925 5713<BR>Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp; +=20
61 3 9925 5741<BR>Email:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:robert.grose@xxxxxxxxxxx";>robert.grose@xxxxxxxxxxx</A><BR><B=
R><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
lboxer@xxxxxxxxxxx 11/18/02 02:54pm &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Professor Jorge M. Roche refines my metaphor "Warfare =
as=20
Submission" by </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;suggesting that if my hypothesis is correct, "What we =
might=20
empirically=20
<DIV></DIV>&gt;expect is that those individuals who are more submissive =
are also=20
more likely=20
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&gt;to be more aggressive than less submissive ones."</P>
<P>That makes sense.&nbsp; Submissive individuals are easier to coerce.&nbs=
p; I=20
would not say that is the same as weaker individuals.&nbsp; My feeling is =
that a=20
homogenous social context contributes to docility, utility and=20
governmentality.&nbsp; When exernal influences dilute a homogenous =
social=20
context stability declines:</P>
<P>- Japan in the past 10 years</P>
<P>- Western society in the past 50 years </P>
<P>The question of interest perhaps is regarding the mode in which people =
are=20
made to be submissive. Submission caused by various processes that&nbsp;may=
lead=20
to a population of people:</P>
<P>- irrationally enthusiastic&nbsp;for war (people who would have =
never=20
entertained the idea) </P>
<P>-&nbsp; irrationally enthusiastuc for sustainability (people who would =
have=20
never entertained the idea)</P>
<P>- irrationally enthuasiastic for gay sex (people who would have =
never=20
entertained the idea) </P>
<P>In other words, the mode of creating the submission may alter what =
the=20
submissive society may be harnessed to do.</P>
<P>Lionel</P></DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
<HR>
Help STOP SPAM with <A href=3D"http://g.msn.com/8HMKEN/2016";>the new MSN 8 =
</A>and=20