Re: translation nightmare

Precisely - 'Savoir' is about knowing oneself, whereas 'Connaissance' is
about knowing because one was instructed to do so by chatecismic-rote or by
classroom-lecuture or by mass media.

>From: Clare O'Farrell <panopticon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: translation nightmare
>Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:04:40 +1000
>
>I was not actually asking for help - just pointing out some of the
>difficulties for translators! I am fascinated by the way some of Foucault's
>work has been translated in to English. As Stuart Elden points out the
>difference is clear from the context. Here Foucault is drawing a difference
>between empirical knowledge (information that one accumulates
>-connaissance) and spiritual knowledge (ie knowledge which produces self
>transformation). As Stuart points out it is a rather different
>characterisation from the one one finds in The Archaeology of Knowledge.
>
>>I might be able to help for this translation problem but I remain unsure
>>of the
>>question. If I get it right, the question would be: what is the
>>difference
>>between savoir et connaissance? And if so, could you quote a few
>>sentences in
>>order to contextualize?
>>Franois
>>

>>Selon Clare O'Farrell <panopticon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> How about this for a translation nightmare! : 'savoir de
>>> connaissance' (p. 296 L'hermeneutique de soi). Both words translate
>>> into English as knowledge. Anybody else read this book? I like it a
>>> lot better than vols 2 and 3 of History of Sexuality.
>>> --
>>> Clare
>>> ************************************************
>>> Clare O'Farrell
>>> email: panopticon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> website: http://www.foucault.qut.edu.au
>>> ************************************************
>>>

>>Franois Gagnon
>>tudiant au Doctorat
>>Dpartement de Communication
>>Universit de Montral
>>(514)343-6111 poste 1464
>

>--
>Clare
>Clare O'Farrell
>email: panopticon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>website: http://www.foucault.qut.edu.au

// How do senior managers
///// deliberate regarding
/////// triple-bottom-line
/////// issues?
_ _ _ _ //////
|_|_|_|_|//////_| http://www.geocities.com/lionelboxer/phd
|_|/////////|_|_| Lionel Boxer CD MBA BTech(IE)
|_/////////_|_|_| Management Consultant
|//////_|_|_|_|_| mobile: 0411267256
I N T E R G O N
PO Box 2013 http://intergon.freeyellow.com