Re: Order of Things

--Apple-Mail-2-851674346

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 03:09 PM, Robert Grose wrote:

> I am having trouble interpreting the following quote from page XX of=20=

> the Preface of the 'Order of Things'
> =A0
> The fundamental codes of a culture -=A0 those governing its language,=20=

> its schemas of perceptions, its exchanges, its techniques, its values,=20=

> the hierarchy of its practices - establish for every man , from the=20
> very first, the empirical orders with which he will be dealing, and=20
> within which he will be at home. At the other extremity of thought,=20
> there are the scientific theories or the phloshophical interpretations=20=

> which explain why order exists in general, what universal law it=20
> obeys, what principle can account for it, and why this particular=20
> order has been established and not some other.
> (Order of Things - Preface page xx).

You need to be more specific. What is your current take on it? In my=20=

view, here Foucault sets up two distinct views of the order of things. =20=

1. Scientific rationalist - that order exists and then people discover=20=

it through reason 2. Cultural contextual - that order is made of=20
discursive life.

nils

--Apple-Mail-2-851674346