Order of Things

--=_80DFC6F0.2E4F98E5

Dear All,
=20
I am having trouble interpreting the following quote from page XX of the =
Preface of the 'Order of Things'
=20
The quote goes:
=20
The fundamental codes of a culture - those governing its language, its =
schemas of perceptions, its exchanges, its techniques, its values, the =
hierarchy of its practices - establish for every man , from the very =
first, the empirical orders with which he will be dealing, and within =
which he will be at home. At the other extremity of thought, there are the =
scientific theories or the phloshophical interpretations which explain why =
order exists in general, what universal law it obeys, what principle can =
account for it, and why this particular order has been established and not =
some other.
(Order of Things - Preface page xx).
=20
I was hoping someone could help with the interpretation or direct to some =
reading that may clarify this.
=20
Robert
=20
=20

--=_80DFC6F0.2E4F98E5

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dear All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I am having trouble interpreting the following quote =
from page=20
XX of the Preface of the 'Order of Things'</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The quote goes:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The fundamental codes of a culture -&nbsp; those =
governing its=20
language, its schemas of perceptions, its exchanges, its techniques, its =
values,=20
the hierarchy of its practices - establish for every man , from the very =
first,=20
the empirical orders with which he will be dealing, and within which he =
will be=20
at home. At the other extremity of thought, there are the scientific =
theories or=20
the phloshophical interpretations which explain why order exists in =
general,=20
what universal law it obeys, what principle can account for it, and why =
this=20
particular order has been established and not some other.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>(Order of Things - Preface page xx).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I was hoping someone could help with the interpretation=
or=20
direct to some reading that may clarify this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Robert</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_80DFC6F0.2E4F98E5--