RE: obscure Foucault questions

There is a translator listed for the version in Dits et ecrits. I can't
think of an exception to the general rule that if a piece was only published
in a language other than French in Foucault's life, the version in DE is a
retranslation into French. This is true for the Portuguese, English and
Japanese pieces. Something to do with the 'no posthumous publications' rule
I guess.
I don't know when the piece was written but I would guess about 1980.
As for languages, Foucault had good English, especially at the end of his
career, but usually seemed to write in French first. Many of the lectures he
gave at the US were based on College de France lectures originally given in
French. I would guess that he went into French when he found that his
expression suffered in English. Some of the interview transcripts i
mentioned in previous posts switch between languages. There are some where
the questions are in English and the answers in French. (as an aside,
Derrida says somewhere that he only ever writes in French, despite
teaching/lecturing lots in other countries, he feels that it is best to
start in French, and then translate).

As for the last question, yes, i'm fairly sure he came into contact with a
lot of Analytic philosophy in his time in the US. Dreyfus and Rabinow
(particularly the former) would have exposed him to some, and there are some
key people at Berkeley, but also earlier trips to Buffalo, Vermont, etc.
Some of Dreyfus's own work presumably comes close to what you mean? There is
a long discussion of the relation between Foucault's work and that of Rorty
in the interviews mentioned, where D and R are desparately trying to show F
that unless he clarifies certain points he is in danger of becoming Rorty's
reading of him... it's quite funny. (there don't seem to be similar moments
where they try to help him escape becoming D & R's reading of him... quite
the opposite... but that's another story). I know Rorty isn't what you mean,
but it does show how that dialogue between F and Anglo-Saxon thought was
taking place...

Hope that goes some way to answering...

Stuart