RE: obscure Foucault questions

It seems my post on the Subject and Power was misleading. Although there is
a translator listed in Dits et ecrits, it looks like Foucault himself may
have worked on the text in French.

Ali gave me the detail of the passage quoted by Custer (below), and checking
the page, this is not the only place where there is more in the French that
can't be put down to overtranslation.

As I mentioned in another post there are two versions of On the Genealogy of
Ethics in Dits et ecrits - a straight translation of the English and the
version that appeared in the French edition of the Dreyfus/Rabinow book,
seen and worked on by Foucault, shortly before his death. As the Subject and
Power was also in that book, it seems at least possible Foucault did the
same with this (although this is not noted in Dits et ecrits).

As Ali notes below, Subject and Power lists Sawyer as the translator of the
second half. It is also possible that though Durand-Bogaert is listed as
translator for the Dits et ecrits version that they only did the first half,
and that the original French version was used for the second. I'm not sure
how we go about finding this out.

Ultimately though this is a text that was published in French in Foucault's
life (which negates the first sentence of my other post on this): the French
is therefore probably the definitive version.

Stuart