Re: Foucualt and capital

This is certainly a superficial line of argument. It also seems unlikely to
do justice to Althusser's work, if it simply constitutes a means to then
introduce Bhaskar's (or Benton's) reading of Althusser as somehow
authoritative.

Rather than being an exercise in making a book on Marx sexier it might
reasonably be assumed that it was a strategy for generalising the features
of Marx's analysis of the labour-process to other forms of social
organization, which is what Foucault does to some extent in _Discipline and
Punish_.

For an interesting account of the relations between the works of Althusser
and Foucault in the early 1970s, see
Warren Montag, '"The soul is the prison of the body": Althusser and
Foucault, 1970-1975', in Jacques Lezra (ed.), _Depositions: Althusser,
Balibar, Macherey, and the Labor of Reading_, Yale University Press, New
Haven, 1985 (also published as _Yale French Studies_, No. 88), pp. 53-77.

On Althusser's and Macherey's work relative to structuralism, the following
is also useful (as is Montag's recent book):

Warren Montag, 'Althusser's nominalism: structure and singularity
(1962-1966)', _Rethinking Marxism_, 10(3), 1998.