Re: Acronyms and Republicanism

Who conjures up the dominant discourse that does not include that Queen
Elizabeth II is the Queen of Australia and the Queen of Canada?

>Australians in my experience hardly ever mention the monarchy; they talk
>about the woman whose head is on their coins as 'the Queen of England'.

Who has transformed the discourse and why?

>The dominant discourse in Australian society if anything today occludes the
>British 'heritage' of the country.

Are these the result of controlled misinformation or natural evolution of a
society? If these are the result of controlled misinformation then why has
no viable alternative been put forth and if the republican movement were to
be taken seriously should it be expected to provide a viable alternative?
Or, perhaps is Australia to be denuded of meaningful national symbolism and
clothed in the latest fashionable accessory?

Get less junk mail with ninemsn Premium. Click here