Barry Hindess and Governmentality school

Greetings all,

Just a quick question, if anybody can provide me a clue, I shall be
grateful.

Does Hindess normally considered part of what is loosely called
governmentality school? Boris Frankel in his piece (thanks to Stuart for
this reference) in NLR thinks him to be a very central figure in the school.
However I was wondering how far this is true given the following (and
similar) comments:

"Liberal Political reason, then, sees individual liberty as a limit, not
simply to the legitimate reach of government, but also to its effectiveness.
More recent scholars have adapted this account of liberalism to the analysis
of neoliberalism attempts through the decisions of autonomous individuals.
They have focused, in particular, on the governmental uses of individual
choice and empowerment and on the more general promotion of market or quasi
market regimes in the government of domains previously regulated in other
ways.

In fact, this focus on the governmental uses of liberty gives liberal
political reason far too good a press". [The liberal Government of
unfreedom, Alternatives 26(2001): 93-111, here 93-94.).

thanks in advance for any 'illuminations'.

regards
ali

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/