Reading group generation

Reading Group Generation

Please circulate widely - apologies for cross dressing

We are pleased to announce a new generation online collaborative reading
project. We hope to continue the success of our previous detailed studies of
books like Negri and Hardt's Empire this summer by picking up Paolo Virno's
recently translated 'A Grammar of the Multitude'. This short and accessible
text might be light in comparison to much of the material we have taken up
in the past, but it sports some deft theoretical punches which will be
invaluable to our prospective reading of the much anticipated sequel to
Empire: 'Multitudes: war and democracy in the age of empire' in the coming
months.

What is the relation between multitude, people and state? What is the
creative potential of 'multitude' as a common name? How do the sociology of
work, the critique of production and the crisis of representation combine in
this idea of subjectivity. Where and by what means is power constituted in
'post-fordist' times and what of capital and resistance is displaced and
reformed by this transition?

A reading group is currently forming to read the Virno, details of which can
be found below. Copies or extracts of the book may well circulate in
electronic form. Subscriptions are welcomed from any willing quarter
although we do encourage participation in list discussion, and in particular
the translation and circulation of relevant texts. The list is cared for by
individuals otherwise engaged as writers, programmers, academics and
translators and unemployed layabouts variously located in geographical and
virtual space. Although many different shades of opinion will be represented
on the list we share a commitment to reasonable debate whilst debating the
reasonable. Please take the time to join and enrich this experience.

Arianna Bove
Erik Empson
Pier Paolo Frassinelli
Matteo Mandarini
Thomas Seay
Soenke Zehle

To subscribe to the reading group follow the instructions here: