From: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stuart Elden
Sent: 06 November 2004 15:12
To: Foucault List
Subject: FW: actualité

It doesn't seem that the list can cope with accents

here is it again then...

This is my translation of a passage with this term in it

I consider myself as a journalist, insofar as what interests me is the
present [l'actualite]... Philosophy, until Nietzsche, had eternity for its
raison d'etre. The first philosopher-journalist was Nietzsche. He introduced
the today [l'aujourd'hui] into the field of philosophy. Before, the
philosopher knew time and eternity, but Nietzsche was obsessed by the
present [l'actualite]... If we want to be masters of our future we must pose
fundamentally the question of the today. That is why, for me, philosophy is
a type of radical journalism (Dits et ecrits, Four Volume edition, II, 434).

Stuart