Re: Yahoo

Matthew wrote:

> For what it's worth, I wouldn't join a web-based list such as yahoo ...
> just a rearguard gesture against the demise of text-only cybermedia.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that there are two confusions going on here.
You are confusing Yahoo's email interface (i.e. the interface whereby you
read your email if your email account is at Yahoo) with a list hosted at Yahoo.
There is nothing particularly "web-based" about the latter - subscribers to
Yahoo-hosted lists receive ordinary email just like subscribers to lists hosted,
say, at the U of Virginia. So if you read your mail, say, using Mutt from
a Unix telnet session, that's how you will receive mail from a Yahoo-hosted
mailing list.

And David McInerney is, I believe, making a confusion between being
subscribed, and posting, to a Yahoo-hosted list, and accessing the archive.
A list can be public or private, and - independently of that - its archive
can be public or private. When the list is private, only members can post
(which is the case with all Spoon lists). When the archive is private, only
list members can access the archives of the list (which contains all the past
posts). What I am saying is that although any kind of email address can
_subscribe and post_ to a Yahoo-hosted list, in order to _access a private
archive_ you not only have to be a member, but you have to be subscribed
_from a Yahoo address_. This is so because in order to access a private
archive at Yahoo, you actually have to provide your Yahoo ID and password.

-m