Re: Yahoo

Yes, there seem to be three levels of privacy on Yahoo.

First, there those with a public archive. You can read emails to that
list and join without any sort of moderator intervening. This is like
the Deleuze and Guattari list that seems to have been abandoned due to
spamming. Then there is the type where the archive is private, but you
can join without approval. Althusser list is like this. So far I have
not been spammed through the DeleuzeandGuattari list, but I presume
it's possible on the Althusser list too. Then there are the closed
lists, where it is membership by invitation only. I don't think that
the latter will work well for Foucault.

It seems that certain spammers might have been targeting Yahoo -
perhaps because of its prominence - by joining lists and then spamming
them. I have not attempted to send emails to a public list, so I'm not
sure that is possible. If you look at the archive for the
DeleuzeandGuattari list you'll see that the recent messages are all
about refinancing mortgages, credit cards, etc.

Certainly though i would be keen to promote text-only cybermedia - no
attachments or html if possible. I'd really like to avoid Yahoo if
possible. But I do get regular style emails into my email program
(Mail, on MacOS X) but they seem to be in HTML but do not include
graphics. When I use the Yahoo interface in Yahoo groups though I get

As far as I can remember, I've never had a yahoo email account, but I
do have a Yahoo groups ID. If I do have a Yahoo email, I've forgotten
it and never access it, and Yahoo groups never prompts me to access it.

DM