From: <DavidLeeCarlson@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] anybody still there?

> Cathie:
>
> In an article you can find in Martin et al. (1988) entitled "Technologies
of the Self: A Seminar with Michel Foucault," he described four
technologies: 1. Technologies of production; 2. Technologies of sign
systems; 3. Technologies of Power; 4. Technologies of the self--

> Nikolas Rose's recent book on "Powers of Freedom" examines technologies of
government (51-55), which might be interesting to look at--I find his work,
specifically this book quite useful. He provides a solid definition of
"technology" in a Foucauldian sense--

> Mitchell Dean, doing similar work as Rose, speaks of technolgies of
agency, performance, and citizenship, which I've used in my own work
(dissertation). His book on "Governmentality" is also quite useful.

> I still keep thinking that I've read about technologies of difference, but
like the previous gentleman said, I don't think that Foucault made that
distinction--if you're interested in "difference" in Foucault, you may wish
to read his piece "The Subject and Power" in Dreyfus and Rabinow (1983).