Re: [Foucault-L] governmentality and 'law and order'

Glen

OK - point taken, and I think I understand what you are looking for... I'm
in the wrong office today but after discussing this rather interesting
question yesterday - the general consensus was that Zygmunt Bauman is the
best contemporary place to start drawing together the two lines - most
notably with his work on 'Liquid Modernity' and 'In search of politics'.
The thought being that within the work there is a mid-channel approach
that is both continental sociology/philosophcial and also has connections
with the cultural studies approaches of Hall etc. Bauman has an especially
interesting line on identity, community and governmentality in the age of
globalization which at times uses both Foucault and Young to further his
argument regarding our liquidness.

Whether you can read it closely enough to tease out the 'moral panic'
issues that you are looking for is a different question, but the
consensus was that it's there.

There is also some work by Anglea McRobbie and Sara Thornton which updates
the concept in terms of the 'Folk Devils' being more media savvy and
exploiting their misrepresentation. "Rethinking 'moral panic' for
multi-- mediated social worlds" it was in the British Journal of Sociology
around the mid 90s - possibly reprinted... I think this might be more
directly useful to you...

steve