Re: [Foucault-L] governmentality and 'law and order'

hey steve,

hmmm, I realise that Agamben has his historico-philosophy thing going
on, but I don't do philosophy, I do cultural studies. This doesn't mean
I don't have similar rigorous standards, it means that I look at
culture and not only the political constitution of life in relation to
the juridical order. If Agamben is describing an actual reality, then
there will be other correlates to his theories besides his own work on
the juridical order. The stuff in Hall, et al's _Policing the Crisis_
surely has to be taken into account if anyone from cultural studies is
seriously going to use Agamben. I simply see their respective works as
being differential expressions of a singular problem, not disciplinary
ideal types that are irreconcilably different.

Here is a start on different understandings of homo sacer:

http://www.arena.org.au/ARCHIVES/Mag_Archive/Issue_76/bites76.htm

the thing about hoodies is v. funny. especially considering my 'cool'
friends tell me they are ment to be 'in fashion' at the moment.

I was put onto the Nikolas Rose work on control, and it is close. His
work on thinking about different layers of governmental to
disciplinarity 'control' of welfare-workfare is interesting. I may be
usful to think about in terms of 'mobility' or something similar for my
research.

Still haven't come across anything that engages with moral panic
theory. Maybe it is not really that much of a big deal.

Ciao,
glen.

> Glen
>
> You seem to be implying that you believe that entirely different
> philosophical and cultural positions can be simply merged on the
basis of
> a percieved similarity. Is that what you mean ? or are you arguing
that
> there is a genuine similarity between the sociology of 'moral panic',
with
> it's later development of 'subcultures' and the restricted and almost
> sub-Situationist concern with the media, and the philosophical
perspective
> which produces a notion of the 'bare life'.
>
> For what it's worth we in the UK are now into our third moral panic
of the
> year - 'hoodies...' not a bare life i think merely the endless cycle
of
> misrepresented young working class people.
>
> As to your question - Todorov's humanist account of the camps might be
> worth considering as a way of producing a critique of the 'bare
life'. But
> I'll ask around and see if anyone can think of something more along
the
> lines you are thinking of... I'm making the assumption that the
Foucault

--
PhD Candidate
Centre for Cultural Research

Read my rants: http://glenfuller.blogspot.com/

Folow-ups
  • Re: [Foucault-L] governmentality and 'law and order'
    • From: sdv