Re: [Foucault-L] practice

Hi Kevin

This is an interesting question - I'm not sure where Foucault theorised 'practice' in general. It might be useful to start from Althusser's concept of practice as elaborated in _For Marx_ (and on which there are, from memory, several commentaries by others published or unpublished) and look at how Foucault might have responded to, or perhaps incorporated, Althusser's concept of practice. As Warren Montag and others have said, often there seems to have been a theoretical dialogue - explicit or implicit - between Althusser and Foucault.

I'm interested to read what others better read in Foucault - or perhaps just with better memories - than I have to say on this question of a general concept of practice in Foucault. Perhaps it exists only in what Althusser termed 'the practical state' within Foucault's writings on various practices?

DM