Re: [Foucault-L] biopolitics on film

Just some thoughts as the conversation unfolds...

I'm pleased to see that my query has not only generated suggestions, but
also some debate. I originally posed the question because I had a difficult
time thinking of films that went beyond the theme of
surveillance/discipline. The latter may be useful for some kinds of
illustration, but one of the things that I think can be problematic about
them is that they tend to frame power as juridical and negative, that they
fail to capture the productive aspects of power. Similarly, I'm concerned
(as others have been) that these films tend to focus on individuals in
relation to government conspiracies, whereas biopolitics is arguably about
neither of these.

I have no particular love for the film, but I think that the Matrix works
fairly well as an illustration of biopolitics--it's got the level of the
population in there, and (pace some mythic hero hokum) the characters'
agency is not limited, but rather predicated on, the manner in which their
subjectivities have been constituted by power.

I myself tend to prefer to err on the other side from the conspiracy stuff,
to focus on films in which there's no clear or immediate connection between
individuals and larger institutional contexts. I think Todd Haynes's Safe
is an apt in this regard, and Fight Club is similar. Among other things, I
think that what sets these films apart is that the plot turns on the
"impersonal" qualities of their protagonists in a way that communicates with
biopolitics fairly well. Since I'm interested in the productivity of
biopower, I also like the idea of films that portray "productive" practices
of the self, or productive relationships between technologies and the body.
It's another film I don't particularly enjoy, but Tetsuo: Iron Man, comes to
mind for this.

Sean