From: "Richard Bailey" <rb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:41:37 +1000
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Introduction-Sam Taylor

Hi Sam and all,

I am doing similar research. I am looking at resistance in Foucault. In
particular I am interested in the passage in History of Sexuality volume
one where Foucault states there is no "one soul of revolt". Later in the
same para he admits that "great ruptures" do occur.

I have always read Foucault as retaining the possibility of revolution
but choosing not to write about it directly because of his refusal of
the role of the academic as leader. I feel that most of the writers that
have criticised Foucault on the question of resistance miss this point.

I do sense a missing link though between resistance as part of the
relation of forces that constitute power and the "great ruptures". I do
not find the ethical turn in Foucault's later works very convincing, to
me it contradicts the materiality of power he analysed so brilliantly in
Discipline and Punish etc.

I wonder what others here think of the work of Hardt and Negri and Paolo
Virno? They argue that Foucault did not sufficiently comprehend the link
between biopolitics and the development of labour as commodity. Their
work is derived from Italian operaismo that began with Tronti and
others. Deleuze makes reference to Tronti in his book on Foucault and
speculates that Tronti may have developed similar insights to Foucault
in the 60s. I see their work as an essential addition to Foucault (or
perhaps as a Foucauldianised Marxism) which returns retains the
materiality of power.

Richard