From: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Craig McFarlane
Sent: 11 August 2005 04:56
To: Mailing-list
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Introduction-Sam Taylor

Talking about Hardt & Negri's appropriation of Foucault... (Which
isn't, in my mind, an appropriation of Foucault as such, but rather of
Deleuze's Foucault -- the differences are significant.) H&N begin the
chapter on Foucault in Empire ("Biopolitical Production") with an
unsourced passage:

"The ‘police’ appears as an administration heading the state, together
with the judiciary, the army, and the exchequer. True. Yet in fact, it
embraces everything else. Turqet says so: ‘It branches out into all of
the people’s conditions, everything they do or undertake. Its field
comprises the judiciary, finance, and the army.’ The policeincludes
everything." (p.22)

I assume they have taken it from tape recordings of a College de France
lecture, possibly from "Security, Territory, Population", but I'm not
entirely sure. The pace of the quote feels like a lecture, but I'm not
sure it is one I've read. Anyone know where it is from with any
certainty? (If memory serves, they cite "Birth of Biopolitics" tapes
in The Labor of Dionysus.)

cm.