Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault in schools

Zero B schreef:

Discipline and Punish was the first book by Foucault I read; it is
what turned me on to power/knowledge within schools and social
institutions. The more that I think about it, the more I realize that
this project is perfect, especially for the type of neo-panopticism
that has beein instiled within schools after events such as Columbine
and 9/11. My high school recently installed video cameras in each
hallway and when I look at the architectual structure of the school,
it is strikingly similar to Bentham's original Panoptic: 9 seperate
wings on two floors, structured so that you can see into 4-5 rooms at
once; each classroom is designed so that it can be listened to and
spoken to from the office. I would also like to connect this with
advancements in technology and the increasing movements towards
observation with things such as the Patriot Act. Thanks alot, this has
been alot of help.

<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=37474/*http://promo.yahoo.com/broadband/%20>

One more hint: Think about machines and situations which limit the
freedom of movement and communication. The computer can also function as
a panopticon, because it restricts bodily movements even more effective
than a prisoncell and it can make a file that registrates everything the
user does. It prevents sometimes discussion and criticism, turns the
discourse into a kind of technocracy. It divides people into have's and
havenot's. It claimes time outside school hours when you're obligated to
log into the schools website, etc. I don't know if cellphones come into
focus, but it has turned out that they make it impossible to eb away
from your work or school, because people can call you anytime and even
trace your whereabouts.

--
Have fun!

Erik