Re: [Foucault-L] Comparison between Discourse and Memes

--- machiel karskens <mkarskens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The replication of discourses is extensively
> discussed in the Archeology of
> Knowledge; the archive is the essential replication
> mechanism of disourse as
> such;
> The institutionalized power/knowledge system is the
> effective replication
> mechanism of discourse as a practice.
> The question how that is effected in the brains or
> mind of an individual is
> another question, which has not so much to do with
> Foucaultian analysis or
> archeology of discourses

yes. The 'problem' of how systems of meaning and the
mechanics of their production relate to cognitive and
biological structures is the problem that Chomsky
addressed- that of placing them 'in the head'.
Foucault was more interested in looking at how
dicourse placed systems of meaning and the mechanics
of their production 'in the head' and not in
formulating a reduced psychological description. No
where is this clearer than in the chomsky foucault
debate.