[Foucault-L] Many thanks for teaching ideas

Dear James, Marco, Ronald, Beth, and David (I hope I haven't overlooked
anyone),

Many thanks for your generous tutorials and teaching ideas. In answer to
the question of what literature I am hoping to examine through use of
Foucault, we are currently reading Barrett Browning's "Aurora Leigh"
and C. Rossetti's "Goblin Market." Both texts explicitly address the
idea of constructed female identities as they are formed in the crucible
of empire. Aurora's female education is a geography lesson about
conquest; the goblin men's fruits in Rossetti's poem can be read as the
natural products raped from the colonies and from colonized women (the
martyred Lizzie). On Thursday we will turn our attention to The
Narrative of Mary Prince and to the post-co psychoanalytic theories of
Franz Fanon. I think his arguments about imperial racism as forms of
mental illness and about the subject-position of the woman of color in
the economy of white desire will intersect interestingly with Foucault's
discussion. My thanks again for your input and expertise.My students
and I have benefited enormously.

All the best,

Erin

Dr. Erin Webster Garrett