From: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathaniel Roberts
Sent: March 31, 2006 12:29 PM
To: Mailing-list
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [Foucault-L] Local Protest

Dear Charles,

I too recall this being spoken of --perhaps in more than one place. I think
the idea is 1) that various forms of domination are plural and cannot be
subsumed under a single master concept (as in most versions of Marxist
thought, for instance), and 2) that because of this fact, different
struggles need to be autonomous (they should not be brought under some
vanguard leadership which would strategically sacrifice some strugglers'
immediate goals in the name an some long-term strategy).

One secondary source which lays this argument out very well is Paul Bove's
essay "Intellectuals at War," in SubStance 9(4), 1983, pp. 36-55.

It is interesting that --despite their well-known differences-- this is an
issue on which Foucault and Noam Chomsky very much converge. Again and
again Chomsky responds to people who ask "what can we do?" by saying
something to the effect of: "it doesn't matter, just pick some local
struggle --something close to yourself which matters a lot to you-- and work
on that. Most of us can never reach the Kissengers of the world, but with
every small struggle we improve our situation and educate and organize
ourselves better... it's gotta come from below like that."

-Nate