Re: [Foucault-L] savoir - connaissance

I love the way this language game has played itself
out. I would add absolutely nothing except a question:
Alex, where, in particular, do you locate the problem
in the dialectic set up by the contra-distinction
between structure and action, langue and parole,
savoir and connaissance, general and particular in
foucaults discourse? What, in general, is problematic
about contra-diction in foucaults language? (the
express difficulty I am apparantly having in
paraphrasing what you have said is indicative of the
problem I am having with it; if you would like to
elaborate on what you refered to in passing I would
like only to give you the opportunity to do so).
Perhaps foucaults 'distrust of dualism', as you put
it, can be sumurised as follows: contradictions
consists- and subsist- in complementary pairs (to
paraphrase Aristotle).

note: in 'mental illness and psychology' foucault
spoke about spaces closed against contradiction and
spaces open to them; the context in which he deployed
this contradistinction was the same as that in which
the theme of 'serene/uncompromising/absolute division'
found its locus of expression in 'madness and
civilization' (especially in the introduction he
rewrote for it and in the chapter titled 'passion and
delirium': on one side of this division is placed the
man of reason and on the other the madman... The
related themes of 'mirror interrogation' and
'recognition in a mirror' certainly find the locus of
their deployment around here also...)

--- Alexandre Beliaev <alexandre_beliaev@xxxxxxxxx>