[Foucault-L] Introduction

Hi!

My name is Jonas Qvarsebo and I am a PhD student at the Department of Child Studies, Linkoping University, Sweden. In september will defend my dissertation, “/Skolbarnets fostran. //Enhetsskolan och politiken om barnet 1946-1962/ ”(English Title:”/ The Training of the School Child. The //Comprehensive// //School// Reform and the Politics of the Child 1946-1962/”).

I am a historian and my research interests primarily revolve around education and childhood. I am particularly interested in the school as an arena where children have been observed, classified and formed in different ways. Inspired by thinkers such as Michel Foucault I focus on the different techniques and technologies that have emerged historically in conjunction to the education system and the consequences this have had for the social construction of childhood as well as for individual children’s lives. Other strong research interests are the family and family politics, social policy concerning children and the changing character of the welfare state. Theoretically and methodologically I am interested in various kinds of discourse analysis. Important theoretically influences are, except for Foucault, the political theoreticians Ernesto Laclau and Chantal Mouffe and their discourse theory.

Best REgards,

Jonas Qvarsebo