Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault's 'What is Enlightenment?' essay

Dear Nick,

Foucault engages with Kant’s answer to this question mainly in four texts, one dated 1978- called /Qu’est-ce que la critique? /(translated in Italian as /Illuminismo e Critica, /Roma: Donzelli Editore, 1997) - the other two are both dated 1984 and called ‘What is Englightenment?’, one published in /The Foucault Reader,/ London : Penguin, 1984, p. 32,also online at http://courses.essex.ac.uk/cs/cs101/foucault.htm, the other in /Magazine Littéraire, /n. 207, the latter is an extract from the course at Collège de France on 5 January 1983, translated in Italian in /Archivio Foucault 3/, Milano: Feltrinelli, 1998. Other explicit references to Kant’s reply to the question appear in Foucault’s introduction to Canguilhem’s /The Normal and the Pathological /[1978], published as ‘Life: Experience and Science’ in /Essential Works: Aesthetics, / London : Penguin, 2000, p. 465.

Arianna

Nick Butler wrote:Dear all,

I'm trying to find out the year in which Foucault's essay 'What is

Enlightenment?' was written. It appears in Ethics: Essential Works, Vol. 1

and the Foucault Reader (ed. Paul Rabinow), but neither book appears to give

a date for the essay. I know Foucault wrote several essays and lectures on

this theme from as early as 1978 and as late as 1983, but I'm keen to know

the precise year in which this particular piece was written. Can anyone help

me on this one?

Thanks in advance,

Nick