[Foucault-L] Historie de la folie: History of Madness

I have just got my hands on the unabridged translation
of Historie de la Folie released by Routledge and
would divine the list members opinion of this
'definitive' translation. I fear my doubts concerning
the 'definitiveness' of this translation are
justified. Stylistically, Howards translation comes
across as more lyrical, dynamic and fluid; from a
technical standpoint, it is perfectly anasynchronic in
its vocabulary (the english rendering of the technical
terms of classical medicine is faultless). On the few
occassion where i have compared key passages in the
translations (ignoring the french original for the
moment) Howards rendering stands out as far more bold
and striking in contrast to Murphy and Khalfa's (I
wish I could produce a few exemplary instances of
this, but I dont have Howards text close at hand). I
have long considered Howards translation as one of the
most significant translations of a french text.

On Yahoo!7
Photos: Unlimited free storage ? keep all your photos in one place!
http://au.photos.yahoo.com