Re: [Foucault-L] the event

[i just sent this to the list with my university email, but it was blocked by some spamcop program. trying again.]

Interestingly, James Faubion, in his introduction to this volume,
argues for
a close link between the conception of the 'event of thought' in the
essay
on Deleuze and the conception of 'problematization' introduced in The
Use of
Pleasure.

Deleuze stakes out the relation between the 'problematic' and
the 'event' in the "Ninth Series of the Problematic" in _The Logic of
Sense_ (of course, 'Theatrum Philosophicum' was something of a review
of or intro to Deleuze's LoS and D&R). This may or may not be useful.
But because of the link between Foucault and Deleuze's conception of
the event I would also suggest Deleuze's _LoS_ and _The Fold_ if you
haven't already chased this up and you have the time to read Deleuze's
work.

If you do a search through the archives I posted a question to the list
on secondary literature regarding the event. Actually, I can't remember
how many on-list replies I received.

I recommend Clare O'Farrell's book _Michel Foucault_ (London: Sage,
2005) as it has a short but excellent section on the event in the main
text where it is framed in the context of a discontinuous historical
methodology. Then there is also a glossary-type section that includes
an 'Event' entry and uses the Dits et Ecrits referencing system so you
can find all known relevant works. However, from memory, I think the
main references have all been suggested.

How are you using the 'event', Jacqui?

I have found the notion of the event useful in trying to conceptualise
a 'popular archive', which I am describing as an archive made up of non-
archived texts from popular culture. By non-archived I mean 'archive'
in the traditional sense. The popular archive becomes a literal
expression of the event of fandom or enthusiasm, because without such
desire to collect elements of popular culture the texts would be lost
and a reconstructed archive wouldn't be possible.

Plus I am currently working on the question of scale, which is a
problem with Deleuze's work, and never really raised in Foucault's work
(so also a problem!). From my reading, Foucault assumes a certain scale
of the event. Deleuze goes from having two scales of the 'event' and an
indeterminate scale fo the 'accident' in _LoS_ to saying in _The Fold_
that scale of the event is determined by our interests(!!!!). Scale is
relevant when the temporal and spatial dimensions of the event or event
horizon, which is distributed according to a 'stream of singularities',
shifts because of accelerated culture or transport technologies. I am
reading Virilio back through Deleuze and Foucault's respective works.

Ciao,
Glen.

--
PhD Candidate