[Foucault-L] Cynicism as ancient Dadaism: the discipline of offending middle-class folks

Dear Fouad:

Thanks so much for your instructive comments on the study of
Cynical philosophy. It surprises me that there's not more
done in this country, since Americans are quite interested in
Foucault, Hadot, Hellenistic philosophy, and the Hellenistic
period generally. This last interest I attribute partly to
the Christianity of Americans; the Hellenistic era was the
cruciable of that profound form of pastoral power.

To begin a comparison of Dada and Cynic philosophy, á la
Foucault, I Imagine one should begin with the parrhesia
lectures from Berkely, "The Hermeneutics of the Subject," and
maybe Hans Richter's beautiful "Dada Art and Anti-Art." Nor
do I wish to neglect the marvellous antics and experiments of
what is called "New York Dada." And, most importantly, to
find accounts of Diogenes the Dadaist of the ancient world!
I'm open to more suggestions for things to read.

Thanks again for your suggestions, Faoud.

Peter

Peter Winston Fettner,
Intellectual Heritage Program
214 Anderson Hall