From: Shannon Rose Smith 0srs1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:56:38 -0400
To: foucault-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] introduction

I joined this list at a time when Foucault was relatively new to me and
I had (I am sure) many "stupid questions" of my own. This is supposed
to be a community fueled by scholarly interest and curiosity and
for someone else's process of intellectual discovery but also for one
of the cornerstones of an intellectual life -- communication.

Given that last statement, I am well aware of the irony of asking to be
removed from this list, however I do not feel at home in a scholarly
community where inquiry -- in any form, whether it be from a person new
to Foucault or not -- is dismissed with such arrogance by one of its
members.

Shannon Smith

On 17-Apr-07, at 7:24 PM, Arianna wrote:

> its a stupid question, that's the answer
>
> jataseli@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I´m a PhD student (MSocSc) in the Department of Social Sciences and
>> Philosophy at the University of Jyvaskyla in Finland.
>>
>> My sociological research is about the history of drug addiction
>> treatments
>> in Finland from 1960´s to present day. In this genealogical study I
>> try
>> relate the changes in treatment practices to the changes of other
>> practices, be they discursive or non-discursive, that have made
>> changes in
>> treatment practices possible. So basic foucauldian stuff.
>>
>> My current interests lie in the modern concept of addiction and in the
>> "original" problematization that the emergence of this concept was
>> related
>> to in the late 18th and early 19th century. Furthermore, being a
>> student
>> of sociology I confront all the time the question "where´s the agent
>> in
>> Foucault´s thought". I´ve got a kind of a answer to this question but
>> it
>> needs more clarification.
>>

>> Yours
>>
>> Jani Selin