From: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of lister@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri 14/09/2007 13:36
To: foucault-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Foucault-L] Translation of énoncé to English

I have for a long time felt uneasy with the translation of French "énoncé" to English "statement" in the translation of for instance "The Archeology of Knowledge". It seems to me that "statement" is much closer the term like "frase" and "sentence" than "énoncé", which is definitely not what Foucault writes about in the archeology. Therefore, "statement" incites to misunderstandings of Foucault's concept.

Would "enouncement" not be better? Though "enouncement" has a too formal and declaring sense, it emphasises that some meaning is expressed, and draws attention away for the linguistic aspects.

(Off course, the basic problem is that Foucault coined a new concept.)

Flemming