[Foucault-L] RE : Translation of énoncé to English

Énoncé is by no means a new concept coined by Foucault in French. The acception that Foucault gave it is. And it suffers from the same confusion with it's linguistic's acception which seems to be that which you are pointing to in your comment. But I won't comment on the appropriatness of the translation. François

________________________________

De: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx de la part de lister@xxxxxxxxx
Date: ven. 2007-09-14 08:36
À: foucault-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : [Foucault-L] Translation of énoncé to English

I have for a long time felt uneasy with the translation of French "énoncé" to English "statement" in the translation of for instance "The Archeology of Knowledge". It seems to me that "statement" is much closer the term like "frase" and "sentence" than "énoncé", which is definitely not what Foucault writes about in the archeology. Therefore, "statement" incites to misunderstandings of Foucault's concept.

Would "enouncement" not be better? Though "enouncement" has a too formal and declaring sense, it emphasises that some meaning is expressed, and draws attention away for the linguistic aspects.

(Off course, the basic problem is that Foucault coined a new concept.)

Flemming