Re: [Foucault-L] two Call for Papers - SSPP (please disseminate to other interested listservs)

1) THE SOCIETY FOR SOCIAL AND POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY:
(SSPP)
www.sspp.us
CALL FOR PAPERS
FOR THE SOCIETY’S MEETING TO BE HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH
The Eastern APA (American Philosophical Association) in 2008
The SSPP invites papers for two conference panels. We are seeking papers that address issues pertaining to:
Queerness and Colonialism: Then and Now
The shared history of non-normative sexuality and Western colonialism is long and complicated. This panel invites paper submissions that explore the intersection of sexual identity and national identity in all is iterations: from the gendering of native peoples to the rise of sex tourism. How, for instance, does gender inform conceptions of race and ethnicity? To what extend does being at home sexually involve being displaced culturally? What effects do foreign occupation and/or tourism have on local sexual norms and practices? How has immigration been associated with sexual deviance? How has economic globalization begun to globalize queer practices?
Complete papers of 3000-5000 words (that can be summarized and presented in 20-30 minutes) should be submitted for consideration for the 2008 meeting (deadline: March 1, 2008). The APA Conference scheduled for December 27-30, 2008, Philadelphia, PA.
Authors should include their name(s) and contact information on the cover page ONLY.
Papers should be emailed as attachments in Word or RTF format to papers@xxxxxxx,
For information on the society, and to become a member, please consult our web page at www.sspp.us.
For other questions or information, please email us at information@xxxxxxx.
2) THE SOCIETY FOR SOCIAL AND POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY:
(SSPP)
www.sspp.us
CALL FOR PAPERS
FOR THE SOCIETY’S MEETINGS TO BE HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH
SPEP (Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy) in 2008
The SSPP invites papers for two conference panels. We are seeking papers that address issues pertaining to:
Marx and the Return of Communism
The return to Marx that was more or less announced in mid-1990s by such works as Derrida’s Specters of Marx was something of an overstatement. Marx had never left academia; concepts such as ideology, alienation, and the analysis of the economy have always been central to study of society and politics. These concepts, part of Marx’s critique of political economy functioned primarily as tools for economic and social analysis. This was the Marx of academic business as usual, the Marx that could be applauded by the writers of the Financial Times and The New Yorker.What did change, however, was a renewed interest in Marx’s emancipatory project: that is, communism. This word, which was thought to be dead and buried with collapse of the Soviet Union, began to resurface with the works of such authors as Antonio Negri, Alain Badiou, Kojin Karatani, and Jacques Rancière. Through these authors communism did not designate a form of the state, but became the grounds for rethinking the relations between politics and economics, as well as a reconsideration of equality and the commons. While we are not looking for essays that necessarily deal with these authors, we are looking for works that pursue the link between the critique of capitalism in the Marxist tradition and the idea of an other basis for politics. In short, we are looking for works that can connect the critique of the present with the imagination of the future.
Complete papers of 3000-5000 words (that can be summarized and presented in 20-30 minutes) should be submitted for consideration for the 2008 meeting (deadline: March 1, 2008). The SPEP Conference is scheduled for October 16-18, 2008 Pittsburgh, PA.