Re: [Foucault-L] Remarks on Marx

Dear Timothy

You are absolutely right, a lot of translations are unreliable.

I think that we must consider the Italian version <Coversazione> as the primary source. But it is a translation made by Trombadori of a French proto-text, as is said at the end of the text (p.84): (Il teste francese è stato tadotto da Ducio Trombadori).
Highly probably, the text edited in DE is that French proto text, because it is not mentioned as a translation on p. 6 of DE IV.

I have compared the Italian text with the French translation; the latter often rephrases and sometimes interpretes the Italian text in my opinion. Or is it the other way around?
for example: right at the end of the interview:(p 83):
?Sciò che è seccante nelle sicussioni ideologische è che si è necessariamente tracinati dal <modello della guerra>?
is in DE IV, (p. 95):
"Les discussions sur des sujets politiques sont parasitées par le modèle de la guerre"

and: p. 83-84:
?le dirò: questo <modella della guerra> lo trovo non solo un pò ridiculo, ma anche piuttosto pericoloso?
in DE this sentence is not translated.

In all interviews or reports of discussions the text is of course written by the interviewer, reporter, and (probably) approved by Foucault, I hope. Even the texts of the Cours are written by the editors.

yours

machiel karskens