Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault/Wallerstein

Do not forget Etienne Balibar and the book written by W and B :Race, Nation, Class. Ambiguous Identities. London: Verso, 1991

yours
machiel karskens

At 10:31 5-3-2008, you wrote:
Greetings,

I'm currently winding down on my BA thesis research, and about to start writing. The topic is retheorizing the modern-world system (Wallerstein et. al) and global social change from the perspective of "social space" I extrapolate from Foucault's primary methods/concepts (episteme, discourse, governmentlality, subjectivity).

I have been unable to find in any of the secondary literature a discussion directly world-systems theory in relation to Foucault or visaversa, which is no problem (the closest is Hardt/Negri mentioning Arrighi's Long Twentieth Cetury in Empire). In the primary literature, Focuault mentions Braudel (a major influence for world-systems) and Wallerstein mentions but does not really discuss Foucault on a few occassions.

Is there anything that I'm missing (secondary or primary)? Of course, any other suggestions are welcome.

P.S. anybody have any commentary on Empire's use of biopower? It seemed to me they sort have butchered the concepts application at worst or were terribly unclear at best...but maybe I just missed something.

Cheers!

Bill R. French