Re: [Foucault-L] 'care of the self' as an awakening...question

Hi Erik,

Thank you for being so direct. I'm probably not explaining myself properly,
I have the habit of thinking in questions, so I will try to be more clear.

I know the difference between fifth century B.C. Greece and the period of
the Enlightenment. What I'm referring to specifically is Foucault's text
"What is Enlightenment?". He describes Kant's opinion of the Enlightenment
as an 'exit' from the status of 'immaturity'. The 'maturity' that is
referred to is "a modification of the preexisting relation linking will,
authority, and the use of reason". In "The Hermeneutics of the Subject"
Foucault outlines three characteristics of the 'care of the self', the
'epimeleia heautou'. Firstly, "the epimeleia heautou is an attitude towards
the self, others, and the world". Would it be accurate to link this, in the
history of thought, with "a modification of the preexisting relation [of]
authority"? Secondly, "being concerned about oneself implies that we look
away from the outside to [one-self]". Would it be accurate to link the
emergence of the 'care of the self' with a "modification of the preexisting
relation [of] will"? Thirdly, "the epimeleia also always designates a
number of actions exercised on the self by the self, actions by which one
takes responsibility for oneself and by which one changes, purifies,
transforms, and transfigures oneself". Would it be accurate to link this
with reason (an intellectual action that is "exercised on the self by the
self")? Therefore in the history of thought are there correlations between
the viewpoint of the epimeleia heautou and Foucault's interpretation of how
Kant views the 'maturity' of the Enlightenment? I hope this clarifies my
question.

Thanks,
Teresa