Re: [Foucault-L] 'care of the self' as an awakening...question

Dear Teresa,

I think you are definitely on the right track with your questions. There is
no doubt that there is a connection between the sort of "conversion"
(turning around of the soul) that Socrates provokes, and the forms of
"critique" that characterise the Enlightenment. You should look, in
particular, at Foucault's 1978 lecture "What is Critique?" which draws a
line between the "spiritual" exercises of antiquity, the Biblical criticism
of the early Reformation, and Enlightenment, and modern, forms of critique
and resistance to government. For Foucault, Socrates stands at the beginning
of this tradition. In his last course at the College de France (not yet
published) he makes similar connections between the ancient practice of
'parrhesia', especially in its Cynic manifestation, and modern critique.

Timothy O'Leary