Re: [Foucault-L] assujetissement

I've read lots of French-written texts and I'm convinced that "assujetissement" is a strategical word to Foucault. He wanted to break the common sense word "subjectivité" (subjectivity?) and turn its sense, like,i.e., Derrida with his "differance" vs "difference". The Foucaldian word "assujetissement" only makes sense if compared with its opposite, the new and resistent "subjectivation" (pratiques de soi or "self care practices") in his late works.

Well, I also must say that I'm not keen on English translations, cause I've only read the Portuguese (from Brazil) ones.

Best wishes,

João Chaves
Catholic University of Pernambuco (Brazil)

A timely question Jason, and a timely suggestion Sam! I was just looking for