Re: [Foucault-L] translation question

I don't have the French, so I'm going a bit out on a limb here... but it
seems pretty clear to me that Han's modified translation better
characterizes Foucualt's project (whether or not it more literally
translates the French). For to say "a history of the experience of
sexuality," on the other hand, seems to imply that there is some numerically
identical experience that persists through time, and thus has a history.
Whereas "a history of sexuality as an experience" seems to refer to
something more explicit: sexuality (as it has come to be) defined in terms
of experience. Sexuality, after all, was not always conceived of primarily
as an experience.

On the historical relativity of concepts, I think Quentin Skinner's
discussion in "Meaning and Understanding in the History of Ideas" is
apposite. This essay first appeared in History and Theory, 8 (1969), pp.
3-53, and was re-printed in James Tully, ed., _Meaning and Context: Quentin
Skinner and His Critics_. Tully provides a very interesting introductory
essay in which he compares and contrasts Foucault's and Skinner's
approaches. The comparison is not exact; Skinner, I think, tends to be a
bit more focused on rhetoric and argument, whereas Foucault treats concepts
themselves as part and parcel of particular technologies of power. But the
comparison Tully draws is nevertheless instructive, and I'd highly recommend
the Skinner collected in this volume to fellow students of Foucault.

Regards,
Nate