Re: [Foucault-L] translation question

Yes, I see now that either translation could be read in a number of ways.
The fundamental point is that Foucault would not accept either "experience"
or "sexuality" as trans-historical categories.

But any discontinuity implies a continuity as well; to say the sexuality was
not the same in classical Greece as in Victorian England implies that there
is at least *some* prima facie basis on which to compare the two. Thus we
do not even bother to assert that there was a discontinuity between Greek
agricultural practices and Victorian slavery... or between a fish and a
bicycle.

To give an example closer to home, F. in the O.T. demonstrates a
discontinuity between the "analysis of wealth" in the classical age and
modern "political economy" and also between the natural history of the
classical age and modern biology. But even in saying this he is
acknowledging that there is some point of comparison between the analysis of
wealth and political economy, which makes the discover of a discontinuity
between them interesting, whereas to say that the analysis of wealth and
modern philology are discontinuous with one another would be quite beside
the point.

So with respect to what F. is doing in History of Sexuality, I agree with
you entirely that "sexuality" does not refer to a self-identical object
throughout history. But there is nevertheless *something* on basis of which
Greek, Roman and Victorian practices are contrasted. "Experience" on the
other hand, I take to refer to a prominent feature of the way "sexuality" is
conceptualized in the present day (i.e. in relation to contemporary notions
of subjectivity, in which the category of experience plays a central role).

Thus if the Han translation is implying what you take it to be implying
--viz. leaving "experience as an a-historical, subjective act of
consciousness: i.e. to look at the different subjective experiences of
sexuality across time"-- then it is certainly wrong, because for the Romans
(for example) sexuality wasn't even about an "experience" primarily, but was
instead all about managing oneself in a field of potentially weakening
influences.

Anyway, I think we are all in agreement pretty much about what Foucault was
up to; which English translation is the better all depends on what we take
each possibility to connote, and what you have shown me is that both are
susceptible to conveying diametrically opposed meanings.

All best,
Nate
p.s. sorry for the (hopefully not too) pedantic excursus on continuity and
breaks.