From: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathaniel Roberts [npr4@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 2:44 PM
To: Mailing-list
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] Undergraduate Foucault Course?

I took a course with Paul Rabinow when I was an undergrad at Berkeley, and
we pretty much just read _Discipline and Punish_ the whole semester. We
read a few other pieces, including some Weber, and some of the essays from
Crary & Kwinter eds, _Incorportations_ (1992). But for most of the
semester, we just worked our way through _D&P_. It was great. Of course,
this approach depends much on the instructor's ability to bring out what is
so interesting and unique about that text (Rabinow used a kind of modified
Socratic method --reading passages and asking us what we thought it meant,
then questioning our answers, etc.)

The point is that you don't need to have a huge reading list for the course
to work. I personally might consider beginning with some writings that
exemplify what Foucault isn't... for example, something which exemplifies
the idea of power as repressive, and also perhaps something on ideology
(Terry Eagleton's _Ideology_ is a great introductory text) --so that
students might appreciate what is meant by a form of power that doesn't
operate primarily on the level of meaning but through the disposition of
bodies, or what it actually means that in our political theorizing "we have
not yet cut of the head of the king." So, for example, maybe you could
start off with Locke...

Or, suppose you want to read read _The History of Sexuality_, vol. 1... you
could start by reading Freud (or, more entertainingly, Wilhelm Reich)...

Another great text, which really repays careful study is _Security,
Territory, Population_. The opening lectures explain the distinctions among
--and relations between-- sovereignty, discipline and governmentality [which
at that time Foucault was calling "security"] better than anything I've ever
read (including secondary sources)... although it wouldn't mean very much to
the student who has not yet grasped the distinction between sovereignty and
disciplinary power. So if you're thinking of using this text, I'd
definitely have students work through _Discipline and Punish_ first.

So that's my 2¢,
Nate

Nate

--