From: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Kevin Turner
Sent: Fri 24/10/2008 8:34 AM
To: Mailing-list
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] genealogy of power

Hi Clare,

and thanks for the references.

Having scanned through them very quickly, I was reasonably surprised to come across no instances of the phrase "genealogy of power." The closest Foucault come to saying this is in 'Truth and Power' where he refers to 'the genealogy of relations of force' (P/K: 114; EW3: 116).

What is interesting is that I have found many more instances in which Foucault talks about doing a "genealogy of knowledge (connaissance)," which would be the "indispensable other side" to the "archaeology of knowledge (savoir): see, for example, "Psychiatric Power:" 238ff, 346; "Society Must Be Defended:" 8-12; and in "Penal Theories and Institutions," which has yet to be translated into English, Foucault makes a distinction between what he calls "an archaeology of knowledge" and a "dynastics of knowledge," cf. PP: 256n13; see also, EW1: 17ff).

What's even more interesting is that I think I have only come across one instance in which a "genealogy of connaissance" is discussed in the secondary literature. I cannot remember the exact reference, but I think it was something written by Stuart Elden. If anyone knows of other instances of this, could I please have references.

Regards,
Kevin.